Monday, June 29, 2009

Chip jams with HELIX!!!!!!



Over the weekend I had a opportunity to jam with two musicians I have the utmost respect for....Brian Vollmer and Brent Doerner of Canadian rock icons HELIX.

I have known both Brian and Brent since the early days of SYRE and had the privilege of opening for HELIX at the Sault St. Marie Gardens several years ago.

This weekend we met up again at a close friends' private birthday party where I was performing acoustically as an opening act for The Ugly Step Sisters [Rick Mead - SYRE, Chris Caron - SYRE, Rob MacEachern - HELIX / THE CHIP GALL BAND]. I brought along my "electric" gear as I knew the night would consist of some preplanned and off the cuff jams.

The night started out as planned with me churning out acoustic versions of song from Me, Myself & You! [as well as some covers tunes].

Brian [unexpectedly but most appreciated] joined me for an impromptu jam of Alice Coopers "18" and "Be My Lover" as well,as CCR's' "Traveling Band". Brian was his charismatic self and belted out the tunes with the vocal power we have come to know him for.

After my set The Ugly Step Sister's were to take the stage....but not before a wicked jam of HELIX's "Dirty Dog". On bass guitar was my old friend Chris Caron - SYRE and on drums was HELIX / THE CHIP GALL BAND's drummer Rob MacEachern. Brent jammed on Rock Meed's rig, Brian grabbed the mic and off we went.


This was particularly a thrill for me as I have never played this song with Brent & Brian together before. We rocked it out as hard and heavy as humanly possible....it was awesome! That guitar riff is the coolest ever written.....I was in awe playing one of my fav tunes with two of my rock idols.

The crowd went wild snapping pics and rocking out to one of Helix's top rock anthems and I was proud to be part of it [and I manage not to screw it up too badly either!!!].

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: